Fulton County Agriculture and farmer career expo
- January 13, 2022- We invite employers and potential employees to join us at Founder's Hall (22611 OH-2, Archbold, OH 43502) for the first Fulton County Agricultural and Farmer Career Fair. We are looking for businesses in the Northwest Ohio area who are looking for employees from all levels (entry level, internships, full-time, part-time and mid career). This event will run from 12:00 pm- 5:30 pm. Tenative schedule as follows, but please feel free to attend whenever works best for you. If you are a business looking to reserve a table spot please email Courtney at email@example.com.
- 12 noon to 3:00 pm – Internships, temporary/seasonal and entry-level positions
- 3:00 to 5:30 pm – full time, entry level and mid-career positions
Corn and Soybean Day
January 14, 2022-Topics will include tar spot, compaction, maximizing wheat, pollinators, and Tri-State Fertility. Highlighted speakers Pierce Paul, Dennis Pennington, MSUE, and Ian McDonald, Ontario. Also offered are 3 hrs Ohio PAT credits in core, 1, 2, 6 and 1 hr in 15; Michigan PAT credits; 3.5 hrs Ohio Commercial PAT credits in 2a
,2d, 9, 10c and 15; and 5 hrs of CCA credits in IPM, CM, SW, and NM. Register Here
Pesticide and Fertilizer Applicator Recertification
- February 24, 2022- Fulton County Fairgrounds, Junior Fair Building, 8514 State Route 108, Wauseon, OH
8:00— 9:15 Fertilizer applicator re-certification training (FACT) (Category 15)
9:15—12:30 Private Pesticide application re-certification (all categories)
Cost if registered by February 21 : Complete Program $45
Pesticide Recertification only $35
Fertilizer Recertification only $10
Farmer education series
Registration for this event is required. Please click here and register for the sessions you wish to attend and whether you are attending in person or via Zoom.
- February 1, 2022: Direct Marketing of Local Food- Garth Ruff, OSU Beef Specialist will discuss considerations for entering the direct-to-consumer freezer beef market. Local CSA farmer Valerie Kinsman will discuss how the Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) model of direct marketing has fit her farm. Attorney Peggy Hall will discuss when licensing is necessary for food sales.
- February 8, 2022: Maxamizing Soybean Yield-Meet OSU’s new Soybean Pathologist, Dr. Horacio Nicora-Lopez as he discusses disease and SCN management. Evaluate soybean seeding rates, sulfur and other inputs with eFields data. Two CCA credits offered.
- February 15, 2022: Building a Weather Resilient Farm- OSU Climatologist Aaron Wilson will review current weather trends that will impact your farm. Discussion of water recycling project in Lenawee County and other BMPs for water quality will be discussed. Two CCA credits offered.
- February 22, 2022: Intro to Grain Marketing- Basic grain marketing starts by understanding the commodity outlook and your crop’s cost of production. Dr. Seungki Lee, OSU Ag Economist, will give a market outlook and Extension Educators Clint Schroeder and Eric Richer will discuss developing a grain marketing plan and calculating cost of production.
- March 1, 2022: Small Ruminant Nutrition- Dr. Brady Campbell, OSU Small Ruminant Specialist will discuss nutrition, forages and herd health. Panel discussion including Turkeyfoot Creek Creamery, Leatherwood Acres and United Producers.
- March 29, 2022: Manure, TMDLs and Water Quality- Maximizing manure, TMDLs and Water Quality – Join OSU Ag Attorney Peggy Hall as she discusses what TMDLs mean for agriculture as well as new alternative energy (wind, solar) legislation. We will also discuss creative ways to maximize the use of manure on your farm while maintaining water quality.
- March 24, 2022: Register Here
How the world communicates is changing. With an increasing number of consumers using smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices to find and interact with local businesses, Ohio State University Extension has developed a new curriculum aimed at improving market access for entrepreneurs. The DeviceReady program helps entrepreneurs learn how they can gain a degree of control with their owned, earned, and paid online presence. See how consumers:
• Find your business online
• View your business on mobile devices
• Use social media to access your contact and special offers, as well as to post comments, photos, videos, reviews, and location-based check-ins
• Utilize apps and GPS devices to find and navigate to your business
• Access the latest apps and gadgets
ODA Pesticide and Fertilizer Applicator Testing
- Registration is required for these testing dates. These testing times will begin promptly at 10:00 am and end around 1:30pm. Please register at the ODA website here. The testing dates are listed below. Classes will be held at the Fulton County OSU Extension Office, 8770 State Rt 108 Suite A, Wauseon, OH 43567.
- January 20, 2022
- February 17, 2022
- March 17, 2022
- April 21, 2022